Sunday, June 12, 2022

Descriptions

 


Describe me...it came out between the comfortable silence of two who could reside in silence comfortably...for long periods of time.  Minutes...maybe not hours...but with a storm approaching on a Sunday evening, wrecking the evening of humidity and high heat coupled with the already few amounts of drinks consumed it became a more complicated response.

Like your height? he said, knowing in the darkening light she held a firm tight lip, a disappointed shake of a head...her hair shimmering in the shake.  She didn't respond.

So he walked over towards the window where the last light of the afternoon was spilling in...already warmed up from the vodka...the mercurial elixir that freed his words from their bonds.

When I first began to know you...you were elusive.  Slippery...like a mermaid if that makes any fucking sense...I heard about you...knew about you, but every time I tried to see you...meaningfully see you, it was always a partial glimpse...and that just built the beauty.  Brick by little brick...I had this image of you...of what I thought you might be like...and with every almost-encounter it just kept getting larger.  I knew you existed but couldn't prove it.  Like some sort of mythical creature...snippets...that's what I got.

He watched the paparazzi sky light up with its flashbulbs...growing closer.

But then I got to know you...I got to see you...every day.  And I got to know you deeper...got to see your layers...your hardened outside shell.  

Like a turtle? she said, sounding annoyed...

No...no. More like a malt ball...this delicious outside layer...that was sweet and protective...

ok was all she said.

look...this is really hard he continued....it's like exploring you is like visiting some undiscovered land...it's a place of indescribable beauty...of new sights and smells...

Smells? again she asked...

Yes...do you know how fucking clean you always smell?  Like I can pass you by or pull you into me and you smell like a field of cotton...you smell like you have always been air-dried by a summer breeze...you don't smell like lotions or potions...you smell...human...you smell feminine...it is not flowery or sprayed upon...it is real...like skin that is capable of sweat and tears and tautness...you are an actual thing...an actual presence.

He moved a little closer to her...he was within a grasp...he merely just raised his glass towards her...she held hers up and gently clinked hers to his.  It was astonishingly loud despite the uproar going outside.

He continued...I love the word affection....it is an old word, probably just short of love...but that is what I love most about how you make me feel...it is, to go back to the landscape description...just when I think I have visited or seen all I've needed to see...you reveal just something more...like a new color...a new flavor.  Something I've never tried...yet it's the same person in front of me...always changing.  It is fresh...it is inviting...beckoning even.  I don't know.

The clouds were forming and gathering...coupling...pushing rain out of themselves and mixing and matching in a bit of thunder and lightning.

Every day...every evening...you take something so commonplace and just because you put it on, just because you mention it, just because it is associated with you it becomes infinitely unique.  It turns into something that cannot be replaced or duplicated.  I don't know.

Rain was almost there...starting to spit a little, the wind smelling full of it...almost breezing...not yet gusting...

every storm almost sounds the same, but each one is different...in tempo, in noise...in the lightning...the spread of thunder.  It's like a little bit of you but more so in how to describe you...indescribable...like comparing you to a thunderstorm...everybody has their own definition but when they see it up close it is more impactful than they remember.

So I'm loud? she offered, but he could hear a lightness in her talk.

Well...you can be...when I'm bringing storms to you.

Fair, she said...he heard her put her drink down as thunder crackled around them. 

Please go get me another drink and tell me more...she said it as the rain began to fall...around them...a unique storm but like all the hundreds of millions that happened it was time for it to surround them.  

He went in and started to look for ice.  He wasn't sure if she was happy or not but he hoped so.

No comments:

Post a Comment